Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My recent blood work showed sodium at 133 and carbon dioxide…

Customer Question
My recent blood work showed...
My recent blood work showed sodium at 133 and carbon dioxide of 18. I have read this can be a sign of lung cancer. Now I am petrified and wanted to get more info
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Health
9/18/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Why were these investigations done?

Do you have any symptoms?

I'm 48. I had routine blood work. I have upper and lower back pain occasionally and sometimes get short of breath. I am not on any medications

I can assure you, these investigations do not point to lung cancer or any other cancer.

As a matter of fact, these investigations do not indicate any specific medical issue.

Investigations are interpreted in the context of symptoms, signs, physical exam, medical imaging.

Also the normal investigations are important for conclusion.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I have read that low sodium and back pain are early signs of lung cancer so that was why I was so concerned. The blood work ruled out thyroid issue. I just wondered why I would have low carbon dioxide as well

Could you please post the link where you read it.

This is an absolute wrong information.

Following condition can cause sodium deficiency;

1) High blood sugar (diabetes)

2) Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides)

3) Paraproteinemia; increased proteins in the body

4) Medications like diuretic

5) Kidney diseases affecting renin-angiotensin system

6) Antidiuretic hormone (ADH) secretion

7) Salt-wasting nephropathy (kidney disease)

8) Liver cirrhosis,

9) Congestive heart failure,

10) Nephrotic syndrome,

11) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use may increase the risk of development of hyponatremia

12) Excessive exercises

Investigations to assess the causes for low sodium are;

1) Urine osmolality

2) Serum osmolality

3) Urinary sodium concentration

4) Serum albumin,

5) Serum triglycerides,

6) Serum protein electrophoresis

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)

8) Serum cortisol levels

9) Serum uric acid levels

The treatment is dependent on the severity of deficiency of sodium, mode of onset and cause. If it is severe and sudden, intravenous saline drips is required, otherwise oral increased table salts with periodic monitoring of the blood levels of the sodium and management of the cause takes care of the deficiency.

Your sodium value is just slightly low which many times occur without any disease. That can cause low carbon dioxide.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/