Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I discontinued the 40mg of methadone I had been taking for…

Customer Question
I discontinued the 40mg of...
I discontinued the 40mg of methadone I had been taking for pain in mid August. I am still having diareah sometimes the toilet is filled with flakes of feces.When it is not liquid I am forming very small turds that disintegrate as soon as I flush.
I am 62 years old with MS, fibromyalgia, acute sleep apnea, hypertension, gout, and diabetes.
I have NEVER felt as ill as I have been for the past month. Horrid headaches, shakiness and extreme panic feelings. It is an odd sensation as though the panic is on the inside of my body. I feel very restless.
I am most concerned with my digestion because I just don't feel well.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Health
9/17/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing there can be a a few conditions which can cause this sort of chronic diarrhea. The other symptoms that you ahve described are likely to be due to withdrawal effects from the methadone. Infact the diarrhea can also be a withdrawal effect and usually these effects can last for as long as 8-10 weeks after stopping the opiates, the intensity of the symptoms should start to reduce over time and they SHOULD fade away by the 8th week in most cases. However in some patients they can last for longer.

But given that it has been almost 4 weeks since the symptoms started and they dont seem to be improving then you may need to get this worked up. The first thing i would like to rule out here is that you could have developed irritable bowel syndrome which is a common problem which can develop in patients after weaning off opiates. this can cause the diarrhea as well as the appearance of the stools that you have described. This can be diagnosed by excluding all other causes of diarrhea. This would involve getting the stools tested and also with the help of a colonoscopy. This would be treated with the help of various medications including imodium as well as rifamixin and probiotics.

Another cause could be associated with malabsorption syndrome which comprises of a group of disorders in whom there is decreaed absorption of nutrients from the intestine. this could involve disorders like celiac disease, chronic pancreatitis and also small bowel bacterial overgrowth. This would be diagnosed on the basis of stool tests which would include stool analysis and culture along with fat estimation as well. The treatment would depend on the underlying cause.

I would suggest that you DO get this evaluated even though it can be due to withdrawal effects from the methadone but it is imperative that this be investigated for the conditions that i described above.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.