Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I have just had a sharp pain in my left calf muscle and can

Customer Question

I have just had a sharp pain in my left calf muscle and can not put pressure on my leg although if i walk on the ball of my foot but not normally
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling but can stand normally on leg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No i was in my hotel room at airport and just jumped up whilst messing about im putiing ice on it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually this sounds like a muscle spasm in the calf more than anything else. The fact that it developed while you were active and the presence of pain in a certain location indicates that a particular muscle or tendon is affected. Usually this occurs more so in patients who are dehydrated or have developed an electrolyte imbalance. Usually this would occur when you have had too much caffeine or alcohol or have simply not had enough water through out the day. Drinking an increased amount of PLAIN water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade would be useful. At the same time you can use OTC capsiacin gel on the area which would be helpful as well. try applying WARM compresses on the area for 10-15 minutes at a time upto 5-6 times a day. If necessary use OTC anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice a day. If that does not help then you will need muscle relaxants like tinazidine, flexeril etc.

It is unlikely to be due to another cause like blood clots etc as they would cause a more diffuse dull pain and would also cause swelling in the area. I would suggest that you try the above measures and see if that helps you within the next 24-48 hours and if it does not then see your doctor for prescription medication.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im flying in 20 hrs will this be ok and is ice no good?

Usually warm compresses work better in most cases of muscle spasms. Ice can work as well but that is more to reduce swelling. Also if you are flying in 20 hours, try the ibuprofen right now and increase the dose to 600 mg thrice a day, it should resolve by the time you board your flight. Just drink more fluids and AVOID alcohol and caffeine.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fact that i can walk on my toes only my heel and have a dull pain means its not a tear even if i get a dull pain when i try to tense muscle and the muscle wont tighten

A tear would cause pain which continues to worsen and may lead to swelling in the region. Secondly, we consider a tear if the pain persists beyond 7 days and is actually worsening. However usually it is the presence of swelling which indicates a tear. I believe this is likely to be a spasm rather than a tear.

Do you have any more questions?

Are you feeling any better? Did you get through your flight ok?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.