Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A recent CT scan showed I have paraceptal emphysema kind of…

Customer Question
A recent CT scan...

A recent CT scan showed I have paraceptal emphysema kind of concerned

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

The scan was for an ER visit for sinus infection and enlarged lymph node. I have RA and I take Enbrel. I am short of breath sometimes I use a puffer but the insurance company changed it to something I don't like as it doesn't work as well.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

May was when I had the CT scan but I've had the puffer for a few years. Sept third CT revealed sinus disease, which the one in May did not. I'm concerned that my doctor didn't mention any of this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes i have these little blisters on my gums that that came with what was thought to be an abscessed tooth that was pulled without antibiotic.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Paraseptal Emphysema is usually not concerning. This is an anatomical abnormality which may be present in many normal persons. This may be incidental findings and may not be associated with the affection of the function. To assess the functions, following pulmonary function tests should be done;

1) In spirometry you exhale in a mouthpiece which is connected to a computer. How fast and how much you exhale tells about the various lung functions and capacities.

2) Lung volume measurement is done by body plethysmography. One sits in a clear airtight small chamber and technologist asks you to breathe in and out of a mouthpiece. Changes in pressure inside the box help determine the lung volume.

3) The diffusion capacity is measured by breathing a harmless gas, for only one breath. The concentration of the gas in the air one breathes out is measured. The difference in the amount of gas inhaled and exhaled measures how effectively gas travels from the lungs into the blood.

These only can tell the reasons of your shortness of breath and if the lung reserves have been affected.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I had a pulmonary function test and they said all was good

So there is nothing to worry about the CT findings.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

I also have blisters on my gums, an infected tooth was the reason for CT scan in the first place.
I wondering about lupus, could this be possible

Since your CT scan was done for not primarily lung issue, it would be considered as incidental finding.

Modern medical imagings are highly sensitive to pick even tiny changes in the lung tissue which may not be clinically significant and thus are considered as false positive.

The blister on the gums may need a swab test or a tiny tissue biopsy to ascertain the cause. That would dictate the course of treatment.

Lupus does not seem to be diagnosis.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

I'm worried that health is really going down hill. Some days I'm strong while others I cant even move, that with medication, without it I'm nearly totally immobile. Is this the progression of my disease.

This does not indicate progression of the disease.

This may be due to stress or anxiety.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)