Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I was given protonix and started it on saturday. I have acid

Hi. I was given protonix and started it on saturday. I have acid reflux and switched from omeprazole to the protonix. Im on day 3. Still feel the acid in my mouth. That metallic taste and still a little pain in under my breastbone when i swallow. How long will the protonix take to have an effect?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually protonix can take atleast a week to properly take effect. In most cases it would start to exert its effects by day 4 but many a time it can take a week. if after a week this does not improve then you should have it changed to another drugf, preferably rabeprazole or dexilant which may be helpful. At the same time you should be investigated for H.pyroli which is an infection of the stomach and this would be done with the help of stool for antigen and a urea breath test. If they come back as positive then you will need antibiotics for a period of ten days.

But protonix can take upto a week to fully exert its effect.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No Doc. Thank you
You are welcome.