Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Its your buddy again. time can you explain the diff between

Hello Doc its your buddy...
Hello Doc its your buddy again. Long time can you explain the diff between Linzess and Amitza. I just took Amitza and my gut is now upset. I hope this isnt a thing with this. I have really been going through issues...here is the summary..Hello I just need some advice to know if I am overeating because I am freaking out. So I have very bad IBS-C I think its safe to say. I have bad episodes now potentially almost every week where I get VERY painful lower abdominal cramping pain, and straining etc when try to go to the bathroom. I hadan episode just shy of a month ago that was almost the normal attach except I did vomit(im guessing from the pain). The thing is I have not been right since, in the terms of normalcy for me. Im scared to eat because I may have an attack. I have had a colonoscopy almost just shy of a year ago and it was fine, nothing was found. My fear now is that I have some cancer because I have this pain that seems to linger and has lingered since this attack a month ago on my lower left side. If I press in hard enough in that area it can be uncomfortable. The only good news is since the attack a few weeks after I was sort of having this non stop lower pressure in my lower abdomen that was so bad I couldnt evne button my pants at work. That since has gone away (knock on wood) but im still far from normal. Now my problem seem to be that I cant go to the bathroom on my own without help of Linzess.So when I did see my gastro doc about 2 weeks ago I explained to him my situation and I said most of the time after going or emptying myself I do feel better. I can know say thats about 80% true, there are def times where I dont feel better after going or emptying via linzess. So over the past week I have ta***** *****inzess everyday except yesterday because I was going to try every other day. The linzess gives you Diarrhea obviously and is hard to take during the work week. When I take I do 100% go to the bathroom watery, but go within a few hours, sometimes once or twice sometimes multiple times.This is the catch though if I take it in the morning, I feel like I cant do anything later in the day as in going to bathroom. I may get a urge but NOTHING happens. Its even hard to pass gas, but EVERYMORNING I mean almost everymorning I can pass gas often allot. Sometimes I will go shortly after that and when I do this is where the issue occurs its very painful and I get that sharp pain feeling on my left lower abdomen. When im on the linzess I generally do not feel that. My worry is that this pain is some cancer or something and it REALLY has me worried because it has not gone away.So today I felt ok, had some oatmeal and a piece of cheese, about an hour and half later I did feel the urge to go to the bathroom and after some pushing, and straining ( I had to push) I went( This is not on linzess). Shortly after abotu 30 min later my Upper gut starts to become upset. I dont feel this until after I go to the bathroom. WHAT IS GOING ON! Im really getting worried. I am going to take the linzess when I get home tonight because today is a day to take it, but Please help. Im going back to my gastro doc in a week but I just need some advice to figure out whats going on. My life has been miserable the past month especially during the work week. Is this cancer or something? I also want to add again I dont know if this is in my head but I have been feeling kind of weak, maybe dizzy but not sure. Could be linzess side effects but I dont know. As you can tell my anxiety is high!
8/16/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hey Jay--good to hear from you!

Just get me up to speed with any tests and studies for this you've had since we last talked

And the IBS/C diagnosis has been nailed down?

Well I had a Colonoscopy last June finally. Go figure it was a perfect one, Normal colon no IBD, or anything. I also went to a new gastro doc yesterday since all this Started a month ago. She put me back on the Bently and to try Amitza, because the linzess was just making me go to much, however it didnt make my stomach upset like it is now after taking this Amitza. Like I almost crapped my pants when it kicked in and since that first explosion its been upset.

So basically the Linzess and the Amitza do the same thing to you?

Well it seems like it except the Linzess doesn't make my gut upset like it is now. I know it says take with food, I did grapes and two pieces of sharp cheese. She wants me to do a FODMAP diet. Grapes are allowed and its a hard cheese. With the linzess I just went a bunch of times, and got maybe some mild discomfort but my gut is just upset right now.

Well Linzess and Amitza are first cousins in their actions on the bowel

So what would you like to know about this?

Well A what do you think is going on, and B do you think this is a one time thing with my gut being upset like it is right now? Or do you think this is going to happen if I take the Amitza tomorrow. Keep in mind im also taking Bentyl as well , well just started again today.Like why can I not go to the bathroom anymore naturally after this one attack July 8th.Im just freaking out because im so scared about what is going on. You know I always think the worst. I am going to have to go on FMLA at work because I am running low on time, and its getting so out of hand.
Like I feel like Sh#t right now after going to the bathroom the first time with this Amitza.

So tell me again what exactly goes on with this?

Well my attacks, when going to bathroom very very very painful lower abdomen region area pain. Like a 9 on the scale at times, straining, and pressure. After this attack on July 9th I have seemed to have one every week, since then if I dont take the linzess at least every other day. For example Monday was supposed to be the day I took linzezz but I decided to try to go to the bathroom, and after forcing I was able to push something out. Turns out by doing that i brough on a attack and had to call out of work. I then took a linzess before it got bad and it got a little better because I semi emptied out. Also I will have pains in my lower left side even when not going to bathroom thats just there, since July 8th.So I went to the new gastro doc yesterday told her everything she put me on Bentyl gave me the Amitza to take instead of the Linzess, and to continue the probiotics that I stopped. Only reason I stopeed the pro biotoics was because I heard Alighn helps more for IBS-D and not C. Im not sure if that true but I need some relief.
Its seems the Amitza though has complete messed up my gut.
FYI am at work right now so its making it worst.

Why do you have to strain?

When I have the attacks? I dont know but there is like straining/pushing that goes on. Or like my muscles will stain push even when nothing comes out.

Well straining is a voluntary process but why do you do it?

If I dont do it, it seems like it does not pass. Like my body makes me do it/muscles.
Basically not your normal pushing.

So you're saying you feel like you need to have a movement and it's so hard you have to strain to get it out?

when the attacks happen yes. Its like when the attacks happens massive amounts of bowels will come out, its like everything thats built up comes out. Sometimes easy sometimes not. Its a very painful process. Very painful. See and the linzess seems to stop it because obviously it makes me go every time I take it. Its just to much to take.
She gave me the Bentyl to try to prevent the attacks.

So this isn't a loose stool--it's firm?

It can be both honestly, but it will start out firm or close to firm or we should say solid. Then the further into the attack or bathroom trips it will become less, but my body muscles will still push like something is coming out. Sometimes its like strings at that point of mucus mayne looks like white worms but I know its not. I know thats a big IBS symptom. Generally what will happen is I will pop a levsin and it will relax my Colon and hours later I mean hours it normally calms down. I am normally fine the next day untill the next attack. Prior to July 8th that might be weeks or a month later. After July 8th the attacks are coming once a week or sooner, and I dont feel good the next day.
I still dont feel good yet after this Amiza, I thought the symptoms may have been letting up but its sitll there.
I almost feel as if I do post attack.

So after the bowel movement and the pain what wipes you out the rest of the day?

Well im tired, and my gut is upset for a large portion of the day. To the point where you just dont want to be at work. Not to mention if say the attack start at 7am, im not done with the worst part till like 11 or so. Worst part being constant bathroom and 7 and up type cramping pain. I will often sit in the bed and wait for it to pass. The Levsin really helps with the pain when it happens, but its a catch 22. It never 100% goes away untill hour later evening sometimes not even until the next day. With the levsin though as you know it can cause constipation on its own. Again agter July8th though thees attacks like I said can happen at anytime especially if Im not on some sort of medicine emptying me. I am scared to eat anything also.So the hope I guess now is that the Bentyl can prevent the attacks. I have taken it before a few years ago it was effective for some time then stopped. Maybe not its what I need? I dont know.
The levsin will know the pain from like a 9 to 5.

What was the last thing your GI said about all of this?

THe new one said it sounds like classic IBS-C and the same as the old. I mean I just need to get it under controll at this point. I showed my new my colonoscopy results. I mean you know I always think cancer but I guess your Colon doesn't change that fast correct? Apparently poylips have to develop then that later down the road turns to Colon Cancer. See where my mind goes. My concern is its something else underling or something like that. I mean I feel like im not working.

No, definitely not cancer Jay

Did the bentyl work for you before?

Well I have been off it since early 16 I want to say, but in the past it has worked. I mean the attacks were not as frequent when I was taking it. If I remember the reason I stopped was because after my first surgery it may have been backing me up but I dont know if Bently causes Constipation I hope not. Dont think the doc would have prescribed it.
Like I did take it for a period and I saw results, but wasnt dealing with what I am now though the exact same.
i mean can you think of any other condition that could cause what I am going through. I always fear its Diabetes but apparently Diabetes doesn't cause this. Like an organ not working property, a Disease?

Not diabetes and totally just your intestines giving you a fit

I think you should use the Bentyl for now since most likely it'll work again for this

Ok, but what about the constipation. Like before July8th I still would go to the bathroom every morning that was my normal habbit. Even in between attacks. Now since then I have not been able to go in the AM. Like I didnt go this morning, until I took that Amitza and now I think im suffering from it. Like if this is what happens every day taking this I cant take it.

For the constipation--a stool softener and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day

You know I have not really, tried laxatives, but would you recommend I continue the Amitza. DO you think it will do this everytime I take it.

Most likely it won't do it everytime so try keeping on it

Ok, I keep hearing stress stress stress, anxiety with IBS. But thats easier said than done. Does it really play that much of a role? Like you worrying are making the symptoms worst.

Yes stress can definitely cause attacks and make them see worse

how do you get over that, becaue like I said easier said than done. I would love to be able to tell myself calm down. but thats not working.

Have you ever been in therapy?

No.

Then I suggest you see a clinical psychologist for some cognitive behavioral therapy

That will help with IBS?

It'll help with the stress and so it could help with the IBS

Is there a chance that I am not actually constipated and my anxiety is making constipated?

No, not specifically but if you do have IBS/C it could make it worse

OK so after that attack I had the anxiety from July 8th can make it resonate. I cant figure out for the world why it has not been the same.

Didn't quite understand that Jay?

Basically I cant figure out why I have not been the same after July 8th. Im wondering if me worrying about it is the reason or making it worst.

Could definitely be that

Listen my friend we need to close this page with a rating

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
I forgot how many days does it take for Bentyl to start working in your system?

Usually within two days

Ok I just want resolve to go back to normal..

I understand Jay

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)