Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have always been easy to draw blood from, but the last 2

I have always been easy to draw blood from, but the last 2 times, it was difficult. Nothing has changed in my diet or fluid intake. What is the cause? I am 68
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I was having frequent palpitations and they lowered my synthesis from 125mg to 112, which stopped the palpitations, but left me exhausted. Now I alternate between 112 and 125 every other day. Has helped my exhaustion. Cardiologist said my heart is strong and beating normally other than I have a moderately leaky mitral valve (congenital) so I have occasional irregular heart beat, usually stressed related. The blood test is to monitor my thyroid on new medication dose
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, been healthy before palpitations started. Had been on 125 mg of synthroid for 6 years with no problems before

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Just to confirm; is your primary concern about the difficult blood draw?

What was the reason assigned by the technician for difficulty in blood draw?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dehydration. I drink same amount as always

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The blood is drawn from the veins and following can cause the difficulties;

1) Dehydration as you mentioned due to which the veins may collapse.

2) Technician / phlebotomist may be inexperienced.

3) Veins may be thrombosed as there may have been frequent blood draws from the same veins.

4) Vein preparation may be inadequate.

A difficult draw may be due to low blood pressure occasionally but that happens in hospitalized patients.

This may not be indicative of a disease process. So one may not be worried.

Next time, you need to ask the phlebotomist to take some time to prepare the vein properly, tie the tourniquet with an adequate pressure (too tight will block the artery which does not let the vein fill up and too loose may not let the vein fill up adequately).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.