Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

The foot saga continues. I'm probably belaboring this issue…

The foot saga continues. I'm...
The foot saga continues. I'm probably belaboring this issue way too much but as you say at least I know I and a bit nuts.Anyway I'm sending you a photo of my my daughter's foot has been bothering her with a circled area of the pain. To me it looks like a little bit of a swollen area. She did tell me today that on Monday during Camp She Twisted her foot a little bit in a river so I'm assuming that's the cause of the pain because the issue started after that.
The pain comes and goes. When she's resting for a period of time it seems to go away but if you walks for about a half hour or so it comes back.
I have her icing it and I gave her some ibuprofen.
Do you still believe this is tendonitis? Thanks
8/12/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Sorry--just got on

Is it tender there?

When she's resting and doesn't put pressure on it says it feels fine. But even then if I rub it or put pressure she says it hurts a little bit

When she says it's bothering her is that obvious when she's walking?

sometimes but not always. Like last night there was a period of time she said it did not hurt at all when she was walking. But later though she said it was bothering her and limped a bit.

Well there's nothing there but bone and tendon

I can't really consider something like a stress fracture since there should be bruising and the pain would be constant whenever she walked.

So that leaves tendon

But, even then, it would be unusual for tendonitis to come and go like that

Biggest problem, obviously, is I can't examine her

I really don't see anything too worrisome about this but at this point you ought to have her doctor check it out

ok, thank you. Any idea of what could cause the pain to come and go?

That's the hard part

Possibly tendonitis might only flair up intermittently

Whatever it is I don't see it as something serious

Thank you. One other thing I forgot to mention and this may refer back to an earlier point you made.
It seems she generally complains about the pain more in the evening. But I've noticed other kinds of "physical ills" if they're present in the slightest also some do seem more significant in the evening , when she is tired. Not saying she's doing it for attention but maybe during the day she's able to cope with mild irritants better when she is alert and in the evening she pays more attention to the pain. So maybe the pain is there consistently. Does that make sense? Or am I in left field

Pain of any sort is usually "perceived" as being worse at night without the distractions

But all in all it doesn't sound like she's having major pain

Thanks. I'll give it a couple more days and see how she does. If it doesn't get any better or she still complaining I'll take her to the doctor.
I was reassured of it when she finally told me that she twisted her foot while on an outing at camp. That makes me feel bit better that this was the probable cause of her pain as opposed to happen out of the blue.
How confident do you feel that there is nothing serious happening there?

100% sure it's nothing serious

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Thank you!

Anytime

Dang it I knew I forgot something. Sorry. She also mentioned last night that sometimes the pain radiates up her leg and stops around her knee.

That's not from foot tendonitis

All I can say there is there's a possibility of a pinched nerve at the knee level

Thanks
again nothing serious to consider with this new symptom?

I still don't see anything too serious but have the ortho evaluate it when she sees him again

ok, thanks. when you say nothing too serious, is it safe for me to not consider anything malignant going on?

Now you did shoot out beyond the orbit of Pluto

No, nothing malignant

Thanks for bringing me back, lol.
Have a good weekend

You too

Hey there just an update. She's running around skipping not complaining of any foot pain whatsoever. Still think needs to see a doctor?

No need for that

thanks

OK