Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I accidentally took 100mg Toprol XL tonite instead of my…

Hi, I accidentally took...

Hi, I accidentally took 100mg Toprol XL tonite instead of my regular 50mg Toprol XL- I've been on 50mg Toprol XL twice a day for years- Will it be ok and shud I just not take the 50md in the am , then resume normal dose next night? My pulse is 72- 68.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to codine, some antibiotics- I take 5 mg Iisinopril in am n Triamtere 1 daily , and usually the 50 mg of Toprol XL am n pm, 1 baby ASA most days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My blood pressure runs 130/70 - 140/70 usually- I am overweight but otherwise in good health- no heart arrhythmia. I do have anxiety , see a counselor for it.

8/11/2017
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
Please provide some additional information.

Associated symptoms like dizziness,headache?
Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.

No dizziness or headache, just a little flushed cheeks n feel anxious.
No thanks,dont need to call.
Will you answer my question?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, 100 mg of Toprol XL is not overdose.

The mean half life of toprol XL is 3-7 hours, so the peak of the effects would be within 2 hours. In general, once past two hours, if no symptoms have occurred, you can consider yourself safe.

Symptoms would include tiredness, dizziness, uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, So you should observe for these symptoms.

And eat small snacks and take Gatorade,hot coffee.

Gradually change your position from sitting to standing.

However, I can reassure you that there is in fact very little likelihood of any problems occurring.

If possible monitor your blood pressure.

And you can miss it's dose in morning and resume your normal dose next night.

You should maintain a good hydration.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Thank you so much- we just began our vacation n got to hotel late in evening. Then I took the extra 50 mg dose- I will eat somthing n keep drinking water/ milk. Thank you. I dont see place to give rating stars.

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician