Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

How difficult is it to get off of Lexapro 20mg/day after 2.5

How difficult is it to get off of Lexapro 20mg/day after 2.5 years.
I fear it will be extremely difficult to stop, and what the long term health effects may be to stay on it long term.How long does it typically take for a person to withdraw from medications like this?

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

If you taper very slowly it's quite unlikely that you will have any problems. The main problems is that people taper too fast. I recommend decreasing it by 1/5th every 1-2 weeks. If you feel any symptoms then stretch the time out a little. Most of my patients have done incredibly well with this slow taper despite how long they have been on the medication. Are you on pills or capsules?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, that makes sense. They are pills.
Pills are the easiest so that should work. Best of luck. I think you'll do fine with it. If you get any unwanted symptoms please let me know.

Please let me know if I can still help you out with any further questions on this topic.

Can I still help you with this situation? Any further questions for me that I may answer?