Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

My mother's behavior has been on and off for the past

My mother's behavior has been on and off for the past several years. She was diagnosed with an essential tremor, which causes her to shake all the time. Since I was young, I had been asking her to stop drinking diet sodas and eating stuff with asparatame in it. After conducting some research on the topic, I discovered that asparatame is known to cause brain cell death and can lead to MS, parkinsons and many other complications. Apparently, the asparatame in the diet soda converts into methanol.Here are my questions ---Can methanol cause diabetes? Her doctor has confirmed that her blood sugar level is very high.How likely is it that her essential tremor will get better if she stops drinking sodas with asparatame?She doesn't like water -- doesn't drink much water at all -- can this cause even more complications?Is it possible that she has methanol poisoning from drinking so many diets sodas (that is all she drinks all day)?Okay, last but not least. I am a concerned daughter. She does not listen to me at all. How do I get her to stop drinking the diet soda?She has been behaving very differently...needs much more sleep than usual...very combative and is acting like she needs help.I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
FYI, the doctors say she is acting and feeling the way that she does b/c her blood sugar is so high. Yes, she does eat sweets, but she drinks botles and bottles of diet soda and diet drinks all day long. No water whatsoever.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

usually weight gain and obesity causes type 2 diabetes.

methanol would not cause it.

most likely her essential tremor will not improve if she stops drinking diet sodas.

propranolol can help decrease blood pressure and can help treat essential tremor.

drinking diet sodas can trick the brain for her to eat more calories so drinking diet sodas doesn't help her loose weight.

the carbonation in sodas can decrease calcium in her bones and increase likelyhood for osteoporosis.

she most likely doesn't have methanol poisoning.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After leaving this question, I did a lot of research on asparatame and how that may have caused her essential tremors and deterioration of her behavior. She has been drinking diet soda with asparatame for years. She is absolutely addicted to diet soda and that's all she drinks. I am concerned about her diabetes, but even more concerned about the fact that she drinks diet sodas that contain asparatame that are known to have an impact on the brain -- researchers believe that asparatame can cause a deterioriation in brain function, lead to MS and Parkinsons as well. Since essetial tremors and Parkinson are very close in nature is it likely that the diet soda is having an impact on her brain.Also, will stopping the diet soda help her essential tremor and behavior. She seems to be extremely depressed and also aggressive.Thanks for all the information you can provide.

stopping the diet sodas could help her essential tremors and behavior

but it sounds like she is not willing to stop it.

I'm sure she is not feeling well with a poor diet and diabetes. that could be why she is cranky or acting aggressive.

you can try to tell her the diet sodas are causing her health problems

try to subsitute something else, home made ice tea, home made lemonade, fresh squeezed juices, I like water with lemon and lime in it.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure if she is willing to stop the diet soda. She told me that she is buying a different diet soda (not with asparatame), but I just want her to give it all up. I will pass your suggestions on to her. At least I can say I have tried.I will definitely have other questions for you in the future. Thank you for your help. Five stars all the way!