Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Just had a question, My left hand MVP jointbis paining from…

Customer Question
Just had a question ...

Just had a question

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

My left hand MVP jointbis paining from the past few weeks, and has swollen up yesterday

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Now the pain has aggravated

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No injuries that I can recollect. I haven't done anything to the swelling. It started only a couple of days back

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
8/3/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Doctor (MD)

Hi, Dr. Ashori here, please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Could you tell me what the MVP abbreviation stands for? I'm sure I can help you out with this if I know the exact location of the swelling and pain.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant the MCP joint of my thumb

Got it! Thank you. The MCP can develop swelling from a few causes. The most common is irritation of the joint from mild arthritis. I'm only 39 and I have a little arthritis in there myself. Other causes can be gout which causes inflammation and redness and sensitivity to the touch. Is it painful to move your hand?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was mildly paining for a couple of weeks, but from past two days the swelling has started, and it pains if I move or bend my thumb

It sounds a bit more arthritic. Something may have set off the joint. There are some great online exercises and even videos on youtube which you can follow which help you exercises and do range of motion movement with the MCP and get it to go back to normal. I don't think it's gout. Icing would be okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will it normally be back to normal though? I just hope it doesn't remain like this forever!

It almost never becomes permanent. That joint has a lot of surface area. Though it can ache for a few days at a time, usually with regular exercises or at least some stretching that will be alleviated and hopefully prevent it from ever coming back.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything on this topic.

Please let me know if I can still help you with this and if you have any other questions for me.

You can close this answer by clicking on the rating button above.

Please let me know if I can still help you out with any further questions on this topic.

Can I still help you with this situation? Any further questions for me that I may answer?

Please let me know if you have any other questions I may answer for you.

Otherwise, you can end this conversation by clicking on the Rating button.