Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

37 years old, thin, exercise 4 times per week, tried to

Customer Question
37 years old, thin...

37 years old, thin, exercise 4 times per week, tried to withdraw from Lamictal and had to go back to my normal dose. I feel tired all of the time now, and my blood sugar is really high. I also used to take seroquel. Can the lamictal be causing my high glucose?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Relatively healthy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Poor diet for the past 6 months. Bipolar diagnosis. Was on seroquel for many years, many years ago.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
8/3/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually lamictal CAN cause the glucose levels to rise significantly however this is a rare effect occurring in 0.1-1% of the patients who use the lamictal. The simplest way to check if lamictal is causing the problem would be substitute it with another drug however if that is not possible then it would be wise to look for other causes as well. Checking to see if there is a problem with the production of cortisol or if there is an issue with insulin sensitivity/resistance. You would need to first get a HbA1c done to see what is the control over the past 3 months and then also check the urine for passage of glucose.

But to simply answer your question. YES it is possible for lamictal to cause an elevation in your blood glucose levels.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/