Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Intense shoulder blade pain raidiating down to elbow into…

Customer Question
Intense shoulder blade pain...

Intense shoulder blade pain raidiating down to elbow into and down forarm into two small fingers its been three weeks pain has not diminished tried chiropractor, acupuncturist, only thing helping ice and pain killers... help

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling per say im a commercial diver but pain didnt start till three days after diving was fine three weeks ago till three days after diving the wham..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
7/31/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 4-5 minutes.

This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the neck which are giving you these symptoms. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray.

10) Acupuncture

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.