Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I've had mucus in my stool for awhile but seems to have

Customer Question
Hi I've had mucus...

Hi I've had mucus in my stool for awhile but seems to have cleard up except for some yellow stool and mucus here and there but I've only just recently noticed a clear/ whiteish mucos. I do not have any diaherra, cramps or pains of any kind

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No haven't had any pains

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope nothing I know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
7/30/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually a mild amount of mucus in the stools can be considered as normal as the mucus is usually a normal protective layer against bacteruia, viruses or even stomach acid. Normally the mucus is clear and that is why it is difficult to be visualized in most situations, sometimes it can change its color to yellow or white. Now if you have NO other symptoms like abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, blood or pus in the stools, change of the color of the stools to red, black or white, weight loss or loss of appetite then the presence of mucus is likely to be benign in nature.

However if the mucus is gradually increasing in quantity over time and is progressively getting worse then YES it should be evaluated with the help of stool analysis, stool cultures and possibly a colonoscopy. In cases where there is an abnormally large amount of mucus being produced the underlying cause is invariably an infection of the intestine which can be dealt with the help of antibiotics. The second most common cause is inflammation of the intestines which can be due to colitis or even autoimmune diseases. However as i said it is mostly accompanied by other symptoms but in atypical presentations, they may present only with mucus in stools.

I would suggest that you monitor the situation and see if the mucus reduces in quantity. Additionally i would also suggest using OTC probiotics like culturelle which can help here and also use OTC fiber supplements like benefiber or metamucil which can help as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)