Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Arun Phophalia only I am still wearing the sling. I am

For Dr. Arun Phophalia only I...
For Dr. Arun Phophalia only
I am still wearing the sling. I am slightly better but still can not leave my right hand alone. I am making fist and wrist movements. Next Monday shall be my fourth week but my doctor is still travelling and will not come until next week. I am worried lest I should make other exercises this week or wear off the sling for some time and I can not contact him. I laid in bed on my back and started to just straighten my hand beside me on bed but felt stiffness and pain.Is this normal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Pain and stiffness are normal. Please remember, when you break the bone; soft tissues too are ruptured. These, ligaments, muscles need to heal too and need strengthening. Also these structures are meant for the movements, but when immobilization is done, these structures including joint become stiff, as they fuse. These will need lot of physiotherapy for opening them up and to normalize.

Please be patient with this injury as you need further four weeks for bone to unite completely.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Should I make any other exercises or wear off the sling for some time. Am I allowed to straighten my hand beside me or should i keep it all time bent in the sling

Sling should be worn all the time except when you are sleeping.

You can open your elbow now.

Hand and wrist movements can be unlimited.

In the past weeks I wore the sling even at night

First three weeks, sling should be worn in night time too. After 3 weeks, in night time it can be opened.

Here is my X ray today. The doctor is still travelling but I met his assistant.

There is a callus formation which means, bone has united.

Next Monday shall be the fifth week. I can move my hand better but still I can not raise it upwards just move it beside me. He told me to make two exercises. the first is to bend then move my hand in circles in front of my foot. I can not bend well and my hand ache me. It is very difficult for me. I do not know exactly the other exercise . I forgot it but I should move my elbow

You may move your elbow and start moving your shoulder too slightly. You need active help of physiotherapist now.

Is eating sesame good for the healing of bone fractures, I heard this but I do not know if this is correct or not. I have roasted sesame

Yes it is good and you may eat them.

I am feeling a slight improvement with my arm. I can move without the sling but of course I can not raise my arm upward or stretch it in front of me. I can only stretch it downwards. I am also feeling nauseated

You would need almost 2-3 weeks of physiotherapy for regaining the movements.

Take Omeprazole for nausea.

I always forget to ask when am I allowed to sleep on my rightside

This can be done after 8 weeks of injury.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)