Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Very congested head and sore throat. I do believe my sore

Customer Question

Very congested head and sore throat. I do believe my sore throat is due to not being able to breathe at night so I'm breathing through my mouth. I have never had allergies before this just came on yesterday.. My grandbaby turns for today should I go to the party?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

This may be viral. I agree this can be due to mouth breathing too and acid reflux is another cause of sore throat.

You need to weigh the small risk of transmission of the virus, which is a possibility.

Most commonly sore throat is a viral infection. Following measures are usually helpful in that case;

1) Warm saline / salt water gargles

2) Lozenges

3) Rest to throat; less talking! This will take care of your laryngitis (larynx or vocal cord inflammation)

4) Warm fluids; increase the fluid.

5) Tylenol or Motrin / Advil (Ibuprofen) it will take care of your pain and discomfort.

6) Decongestants.

Read this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sore-throat/DS00526/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

A congested head can be due to concomitant sinusitis, which is treated as following;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.