Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've just moved cities, started a new job, have been flat

Customer Question

I've just moved cities, started a new job, have been flat hunting etc. So am under a bit of stress. However for the past few weeks I've had a sore neck on the right hand side. It feels thicker and harder. I can perhaps feel slight lumps but may just be looking for things. There's nothing obvious or a clear lump, I would describe it as thicker and hard down the whole right side. Not sure if it would be stress or from using a mouse and track pad at work?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: No numbness or tingling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I lost a filling a couple of months ago and had it replaced, it's very deep and the dentist said at some point I may need root canal at some point. I experienced pain and sensitivity from the tooth and along the jaw, I went back to the dentist who took an X-ray but the roots looked fine. Though she said when they just start to decay often they don't show up on the X-ray. The tooth is bottom right hand side. Additionally I had glandular fever in December which seemed to affect my right side more (lymph nodes were more swollen on the right side and the tonsillitis started on the right).
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes possible from muscle spasm related.
However, this can be due to the bacterial infection as well.
Do you feel the area as more warm than other side?
Any fever?
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No fever I don't think. I've occasionally had night sweats though our duvet is a winter one so it's likely this is due to being too hot. It doesn't feel warmer to touch. Just thicker and harder at this side and a little more stiff. I think the stress of move etc is exaserbating my anxiety about this. It wouldn't be something serious would it?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

In that case, not likely serious.
You can try ice pack and also may take Ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily with food to reduce inflammation.
Best wishes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, my main concern was due to the fact it's felt stiffer/ thicker for about a month and I think my mind wandered to the worse case scenario - cancer. Though I imagine this is unlikely. Thanks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

No that is not likely -- you do not have any other symptoms to be worried about.
Best wishes