Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician
96592888

I've been taking 10mg zanax for 10 yrs and want to switch to

Customer Question

i've been taking 10mg zanax for 10 yrs and want to switch to ativan. after having a shot of ativan in the er, i found it works much better. i have chronic severe depression, anxiety and ptsd and take 3mg zanax daily, paxil and celexa. what is your option?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: probably thirty years. i have had two nervous breakdowns which i was hospitalized. no one thing triggers it, it just happens. i have even considered electric shock therapy but am reluctant to try because of loss of memory it can cause
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: hypothyroidism, hypertension, migraine headaches although after taking amitriptyline this is much improved, recurring iti
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

You are exactly right - Ativan works much better. However, it is short acting and does not control symptoms for an extended period of time like Xanax. It is also very addictive. For these reasons, you might have difficulty with finding a doctor to prescribe it.

If I were you, I would encourage your doctor to give you a couple tablets that you can take in times of dire need instead of going to the ED.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.