Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

Recently tested positive for HSV1 (after intercourse with

Customer Question

Recently tested positive for HSV1 (after intercourse with friend) I had severe muscle body aches and swollen neck lymphnodes for months. Penis was itchy for a few months also. I have had no outbreaks anywhere. Just had redness at the top of penis a couple days after intervouse that lasted for a week. I know am have aches in my inner thighs every couple months. Could this be an outbreak or shedding?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: 9 months... body aches first 2 -months, lymph nodes swollen. for fist 4+ months. Penis itching for 6-months (would occasionaly intensify and sometimes better) never to annoying but noticeable. Took STD Panel test every month for past 9-months and only HSV1 positive 1.72
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for some time, so ill quickly answer this question for you. Now from what you are describing it is less likely that the bodyache etc are due to the herpes virus or even due to the shedding of the virus, the presence of muscle aches and swollen lymph nodes can point towards an autoimmune disease which can cause the muscle aches, joint aches, rashes as well as generalized fatigue. This would be diagnosed with the help of various blood tests which could include ANA, ESR and a complete ENA profile. Additionally if the lymph nodes were swollen for 4 months then they should have been biopsied at that time and if they atre still swollen then a biopsy should be done which can determine the underlying cause for the enlarged nodes.

But herpes by itself should not cause prolonged muscle aches and the other symptoms, it can cause transient illness in the form of rashes in the genital or oral region and even brain infections in some cases but not a chronic illness of this sort.

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken multiple blood test for autoimmune and all negative (2-months after symptoms started). Only thing doc found was Vitamin D deficient.
I will go over symtoms briefly again. 2-days after sex I had redness at tip up penis and itching sensation in uretha. Took antibiotics with no resolution. Itching lasted for a few months. About 2-weeks after sex my neck stated hurting with swollen lymph nodes and lasted for 3-months before reduced gradually over next 2-months. Body aches about 2.5 weeks later that lasted a couple of weeks. Still get soreness in grown, thighs, knees occasionally. No noticeable lessions but an occasional itch in grown (uretha). Did urine test 2-weeks ago and no sign of bacteria just mucus threads. Everything blood test is coming up normal other than HSV1. Tested NEG for HSV 3-weeks after sex and at 6-weeks was positive. I know have a sore tongue that has lasted for 4-months and my ENT and primary Doc has no answers. Please give me some ideas...

HAs anyone looked into fibromyalgia? What about polymyalgia rheumatica?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think that is it... wouldn't it be persistent. I feel I'm getting better... I feel it's an STD, just not sure how to fix or diagnose. Could HSV1 cause these symptoms? I have tested NEG for HIV & HEP out to 9-months. My tongue pain is the most irritating issue at moment and ENT says everything looks normal. What are signs of issues you mentioned. I guess I can google.

Herpes would not cause these symptoms and neither would HIV, secondly no STD would cause these symptoms and if it did cause symptoms over a few months it would have been detected on the tests that you have had done.