Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

My mother blood pressure is 106/52 pulse 85 she is 82yrs

Customer Question

My mother blood pressure is 106/52 pulse 85 she is 82yrs old
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: She was diagnosed with animus a nd wheat throughly the shots
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This is just started after the shots but on my once in a while
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. Thanks for using our services.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My mothers blood pressure is at 103/ 53 and this o my happens once a while she is also getting the shakes
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

Did the shakes come with the lowering of blood pressure?

And I still don't know exactly what you are asking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What can I do to raise her pressure or is this pressure ok for her age
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. The other expert has opted out so ill quicikly answer this question for you.

Actually this BP by itself is not worrisome HOWEVER if she does develop symptoms during these episodes then it would need to be corrected. The systolic (upper reading) of 103 is not very low but the diastolic number (lower reading) of 53 is slightly low. Now if she develops any of the following symptoms then this low BP HAS to be treated, these would include,

• Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Seizures
  • Headaches
  • Drowsiness
  • Palpitations
  • Shortness of breath
  • Sweating
  • Chest pains
  • Blurring of vision
  • Weakness or numbness in the limbs
  • Slurred speech

Infact if she develops any of these symptoms then she would need to be taken to the ER and get an EKG done.

Regarding what can be done to raise the BP, you can try giving her an increased amount of plain water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade. Additionally when the BP drops try raising her legs while having her lie down, that will cause more blood to return to the heart and improve her BP.

But the underlying cause for this HAS to be determined ESPECIALLY if she has the symptoms i have mentioned above.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.