Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am a 42 yr old female. 8 weeks ago while walking dog I

Customer Question

I am a 42 yr old female. 8 weeks ago while walking dog I slipped on standing water and algae I landed on left hip. I experienced pain, swelling and bruising. 3 weeks ago I fell down the basement stairs landing on my left hip on a concrete step. Bruising and swelling resolved, pain wax and wane. My pain stays at a 3-4. Sleeping is difficult and no position comfortable.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Since the last fall.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Active lifestyle. My gait is affected
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

It seems that your soft tissues; ligaments and muscles have not healed fully which may take almost 12 weeks in recovery to normal strength. Following measures are likely help in slightly early recovery;

1) Hot fomentation

2) Deep electrotherapy done at physical therapy centers.

3) Local analgesic cream and spray.

4) Physical therapy.

An MRI may be considered for the confirmation of the diagnosis.

You may need an active help of physical therapist or MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation for the treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was helpful, yet still painful. I walk daily, by the end of the walk I am limping. The pain radiates to my knee, at time through my foot.

Treatment entails;

1) A specific and goal-directed Physical Therapy program; stretching exercises have significant role

2) Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) can be considered in resistant cases.

3) Iontophoresis and phonophoresis

4) Short wave diathermy

5) Anti-inflammatory analgesics

6) Local analgesic cream / ointment / patch / spray.

You should not walk beyond the pain. So you need to stop as soon as you feel that this is the threshold, where pain may start.

Pain is a protective phenomenon and tells you to abort the activity.

It is privilege assisting you.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/