Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My husband is scheduled for surgery on Thursday for a double

Customer Question

My husband is scheduled for surgery on Thursday for a double hernia. A couple of days ago he had a sharp pain in his back for about 10-15 minutes. Nothing since. Today he has blood in his urine and small clots. No pain anywhere. Not even the hernia Is it possible this has to do with the hernia? He's getting presurgical testing tomorrow
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No injuries. No pain. Just a little uncomfortable near the larger hernia and under his groin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Other than this recent hernia he's healthy as a horse. 54. No medications. Doesn't smoke or drink
Category: Health
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now he says the last time he urinated no blood or clotting. Lasted 4 hours apparently
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The blood in urine and small clots are not due to hernia.

These are likely due to;

1) Prostate infection

2) Kidney stone

3) Bladder issue like infection or tumor.

This will need thorugh investigations by following;

a) Ultrasound

b) CT scan

c) Cystoscopy.

d) Urine culture.

These will be able to pin point the cause.

Many of these are not done for pre-op evaluation so would need separate order by his surgeon or primary care physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.