dochealey
dochealey, Senior Consultant
Experience:  Physician and Surgeon
4931939

My left arm is swollen and having light pain with tingling

Customer Question

My left arm is swollen and having light pain with tingling down to my fingers. No injury or bug bites
Category: Health
Expert:  dochealey replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

I need some more information.

Please tell me your age and gender.

Since how long have you been having this issue?

Have you had similar problem in past?

Do you suffer from any other disease liek diabetes etc...?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
45 girl. Issue started yesterday. No past problem except golfers elbow. No disease

Thanks for your reply.

I am typing your answer and would post it within few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
This is an uncommon presentation which needs to be investigated and treated on priority.
I would like to tell you few possible causes which would required to be investigated.
One of the common causes is deep vein thrombosis where blood gets clotted in the deep veins of the upper limb causing impediment to blood flowing back to heart ultimately presenting as swelling. This is less common in upper limbs compared to lower limbs but not unknown.
Another possible cause can be thoracic outlet obstruction syndrome where The structures coming out from thoracic outlet into the upper limb including arteries and nerves get compressed. It is 6 times more common in females compared to males and may present in middle age.
Another possible causes superior Vena cava syndrome where a major vein going into the heart by the name of superior Vena cava gets compressed by an offending structure in the chest. Another possible cause is lymphatic obstruction caused by problems in the lymph nodes in the upper chest and axilla. All these possible issues would need to be looked into by your doctor and further investigation including duplex ultrasound of the upper Limb arteries and veins and if needed MRI of the area may need to be done.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions. Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.