Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I've been having light yellow stool for the past couple of

Customer Question

I've been having light brown yellow stool for the past couple of months. My général state is really bad with constant malaise and inability to function. I've had a ct and MRI scan which showed that I I had trace of fluid in the deep pelvis and that the liver was crossing the midline but other than that unremarkable. My state is getting worse along with weight loss and back pain. My blood work was normal. Any idea what could cause the stool and the malaise or what tests I can do next ? I'm a 33 yo female previously very active
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Do you have increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

How much weight loss has occurred in last couple of months?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have lost 6 kg in the last 3 months. My appetite has severely diminished and yes tenderness upper abdomen
I had vomited and have nausea quite often. Non of the other symptoms.
I have been to the dr and had abdominal MRI pelvic bones MRI (because of constant sacro iliac pain) cat scan of abdominal pelvis and thorax
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The findings were unremarkable other than the trace fluid in the pouch of Douglas on both MRI and ct scan
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the whole state that is bothering me. Can an MRI and a ct miss liver cancers or problems ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the whole state that is bothering me. Can an MRI and a ct miss liver cancers or problems ? I always feel a general unwellness feeling and can't accomplish basic tasks easily.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also I'm am a pharmacist so know I am fairly familiar with the terms. And don't know what else to do

Your symptoms are likely due to;

1) Poorly functioning or non functioning gall bladder.

2) Chronic pancreatitis.

3) Peptic ulcer.

You need to get the following investigations;

a) HIDA scan; this tells about the gall bladder dysfunctions.

b) Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP).

c) Upper GI endoscopy.

d) Stool exam for total fat estimation and routine exam.

e) Helicobacter pylori testing

These should be able to ascertain the cause.

Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to cancer. Worry and anxiety may be contributing to weight loss.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry forgot to mention that it seems like my taste is off. I don't taste as well.
Also had an upper endoscopy with ultrasound. Nothing showed up. Pancreas looked good on Ct MRI and endoscopy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hida scan even with all the other tests being normal ?

HIDA scan is functional scan of liver and gall bladder. A poorly functioning gall bladder can explain all of your symptoms.

Cancer is highly unlikely with all your investigations being normal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it the same as liver scintigraphy?

Liver scintigraphy is liver scan.

HIDA scan is for the biliary dysfunctions.

Both are different.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this helpful to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know. I'm still in limbo. Because the drs can't figure out what is wrong. I also forgot to mention That the ct said I had sclerosis in some parts of the si joints. That's where the pain is. And it's worse lying down. However an MRI with contrast did not pick up anything abnormal and the dr didn't think anything of it. I would post you the report. But it's in French

I lived in Paris for a year and worked in a hospital Raymond Poincare, Garches!

The sclerosis of SI joint suggests Spondyloarthropathy.

You may get blood work for autoimmune diseases.

You may ask your doctor to get a positron emission tomography (PET). This will resolve your anxiety which can also cause weight loss). This will categorically rule out any cancer. Though I feel your symptoms and investigations do not indicate cancer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know. But I've already done a lot of radiation in the past couple of months ... not sure if putting more is ideal

You may consider anxiety playing a bit of aggravator of the primary problem. We people who are related to medical field, think too much about the serious causes and that can modify the severity of the primary symptoms.

With your investigations coming negative chance of malignancy is almost unlikely.

You may get blood work for tumor markers which help in ruling out cancers. No radiation here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/