Nicholas Merwood
Nicholas Merwood,
Experience:  Pharmacist at Next Step - Drug & Alcohol Office
90023240

I took two .25 mg xanax last evening, about 22 hours ago. I

I took two .25 mg xanax last evening, about 22 hours ago. I need to take a diflucan now for a yeast infection. Safe to do so by this point?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Celexa
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NKMA

Hi there - yes it will be safe to take a Diflucan now. Whilst Diflucan (fluconazole) can increase the effects of the Xanax, it's only really with regular (daily) doses of fluconazole that it becomes significant enough to notice. If you are happy with my advice, please accept my answer and give me a rating. Thanks and have a great day/night!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm also on augmentin for sinus infection
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thus the yeast infection.

That's OK, Augmentin will not affect anything. I see - unfortunately you take one medication to treat one condition and end up having to treat another as a result! Don't forget to avoid soap in the area (use a soap-free pH balanced wash if possible).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But will the xanax cause problems with the diflucan?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looks like there is a major drug interaction.

No, no problems there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmmm. Okay, thanks!

You have to take any drug-drug interaction into context, I'm a pharmacist with many years post-graduate experience and can tell you a single dose of Diflucan will not interact with Xanax to any significant degree.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Very much appreciated. I did notice the interpatient variability was high and figured it was more of a precaution.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Trust me- I love my pharmacists! I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep and my pharmacists know more than 99% of the physicians I call on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Have a good night.

Yes, the interaction is due to enzyme inhibition (the fluconazole inhibits some enzymes that metabolize alprazolam, which can result in higher levels of xanax in the body) - but a single dose of fluconazole will not cause any significant inhibition. Even if it did, it's unlikely to be significant to cause any noticeable effects given you took the Xanax 22 hours ago. Even if it did cause a significant inhibition, and you only just took the xanax hours ago, the biggest effect may be slightly increased drowsiness/dizziness.

Your welcome - you too.

And please don't forget to accept/rate my answer if you are happy with the advice. Thanks again and hope you feel better soon.

Hi there - I noticed that you had still not accepted my answer. This is the only way that we are remunerated so I would like to politely request that you do so if you are happy with my response. Thanks and have a great day/night!