Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I tested positive on my drug test but I have not done any

drugs. The only medication I...
I tested positive on my drug test but I have not done any drugs. The only medication I take is gabapentine 400mg 3x a day and abilify 5mg. Would any of these medication cause a false positive?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for sometime so ill quickly answer this question for you.

Abilify has been known to cause false positive screens for amphetamines. There are various reports of abilify causing this result on urine drug screens

Whereas gabapentin is not commonly known to cause false positives on urine drug screens. There are RARE anecdotal reports of gabapentin causing false positives but by and large it does NOT cause false positives.

What did your screen test positive for? Also have you been using any OTC medications or supplements recently?

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I came out positive for opioids. I swear I have not taken any drugs at all. Is there any additional labs I could do to prove the false positive?

YES, you can actually request them to run a GC/MS test on the same sample. This would EASILY determine false positives and would be able to prove that you did NOT use any opioids. a GC/MS test is an extremely accurate test which would be easily able to clear you of any wrong doing.

I would suggest that you ask them to run the GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) test on the same sample and that will determine what is causing the false positive test on your urine drug screen.

Do you have any more questions?

I sent for a retest. Will the retest clarify what drug caused the positive?

If the retest is a simple urine drug screen then NO, if the restest is done via the GC/MS method then YES it would be able to tell what is causing the false positive.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)