Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

How do I wean myself off of 300mg/day of Gabapentin? I am

Customer Question

How do I wean myself off of 300mg/day of Gabapentin? I am miserable.
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: I am so distended that I can't get my pants on. I have been on it for 3 days.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 70 yrs. old so there is a lot but I can't see it related to 'tis. I was put on because of pain from a back injury.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I am on Percocet as needed. I use ice, massage, chiropractic
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.Gabapentin at low dose of 3oo mgms/day started on;ly 3 days previously can be withdrawn after discussing it with the prescribing doctor or your PCP.The low dose and short duration suggest that you can quit abruptly,but there have been serious reactions to withdrawal of the drug.it would be prudent to discuss this with your doctor who can taper it off/stop it under his supervision.