Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

My Alprazolam (2mg 4times per day) does nothing for my

Customer Question

My Alprazolam (2mg 4times per day) does nothing for my anxiety any longer. Do I dare take more
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I am my husbands caregiver, I need my knee replaced as it is bone on bone but cannot get it done until I get lower back surgery. I am in constant pain and am quite depressed. Husband is on oxygen.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes, since I had surgery three times in the last three years I got on oxycodone (never took pain pill prior for any length of time) and I now am up to 6 5mg oxy per day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Benzodiazepines like Alprazolam if taken for a period of time tend to develop tolerance,that is you will need higher and higher doses to achieve the same effect.You are already on a high dose of alprazolam,taking more will probably not help.You need to add an antidepressant like a Tricyclic Antidepressant drug (Amytriptiline) or a SSRI drug like Fluoxetine/Sertaline to fight your depression.Long acting benzodiazepines like Clonazepam or LOrazepam(clonafit/Larpose) may be added for a couple of weeks till the antidepressant drug takes effect,It would be prudent to stop the Alprazolam as it has a strong addiction potential,clonazepam/Lorazepam will give thew same anxiolytic effect.THe addition of an antiepressant will help reduce your need for analgesics.