Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have had a headache for several days now along with leg…

I have had a...

I have had a headache for several days now along with leg cramps and pain I have been taking motrin and it helps but it comes right back. I took Excedrin migraine about a hour ago and it didn't help at all. Can I take anything else?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

It's constant.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking medication for High blood pressure. Lisinopri 20 MG and I also seen to have a bite of some sore on my rear end

6/13/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age?

Do you have nausea, dizziness, fever, loss of appetite, tiredness, neck stiffness, nose blockage/running nose?

Is your blood pressure well controlled?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 59, none of the other symptoms blood pressure had been in normal ranges. Just headache and leg cramps and pain. I cant get comfortable so I cant sleep.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't afford any more charges please text

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes.

If one correlates headache and leg cramps; this can be due to dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, anxiety, tension headache and/or chronic daily headache.

Most headaches are caused by following:

Tension-type headache

Migraine headache

Chronic daily headache

Cluster headache

Chronic daily headache is not a type of headache but frequent headaches of various kinds. Most people with chronic daily headache have migraine or tension-type headache as the underlying type of headache. Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Following are the suggested treatment for chronic tension headache (which is most liely explanation here);

1) Acupuncture

2) Mild massage

3) Correct posture of neck during working.

4) Relaxation technique like meditation.

5) Stretching exercises

6) Occipital blocks

7) Electrical stimulation

8) Therapeutic ultrasound

9) Hot/cold packs

10) Medications;

Dihydroergotamine

Reglan

Phenargan

Codeine

Oxycodone

Butalbital

Aspirin

Tylenol.

The exact cause of cramps is not well understood, but there are some risk factors that are thought to contribute to this condition:

1) Muscle fatigue,

2) Heavy exercising,

3) Dehydration,

4) Over weight

5) Electrolyte imbalances,

6) Vitamin deficiency,

7) Age above 50.

The medical causes related to the disease process are;

1) Calcium and phosphorus imbalances can cause cramping.

2) Low potassium or sodium (salt) levels.

3) Deficiencies of a nutrient called hesperidin, an antioxidant flavonoid found in oranges and other citrus fruits, have also been linked to nocturnal leg cramps.

4) Overexertion, standing on concrete for long periods, or prolonged sitting (especially with the legs contorted) may contribute to nighttime cramps.

5) Having structural disorders in the legs or feet (such as flat feet) may increase the risk for cramps.

6) Among the many medical causes of muscle cramping include hypothyroidism, Addison's disease, uremia, hypoglycemia, anemia, and certain medications.

Electrolyte imbalances is generally considered the most common main cause. A blood electrolyte level can help you in ruling in or ruling out this. Some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also be involved, including exercising or working in intense heat and dehydration.

Prevention of the cramps is the best cure; for that following measures should be employed:

1) Drink water at regular intervals, even when you are not thirsty.

2) Drink more than what you require.

3) Drink fruit juice or a sports beverage if the working conditions are hot and one sweats a lot.

4) If cramps occur frequently, stretching exercises help. Muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone can also help.

5) Following exercise may help you before you go to bed; Stand about 30 inches from a wall and, keeping the heels flat on the floor, lean forward and slowly move the hands up the wall to achieve a comfortable stretch.

6) A few minutes on a stationary bicycle at bedtime may also help.

7) While in bed, loose covers should be used to prevent the toes and feet from pointing, which causes calf muscles to contract and cramp easily.

8) Propping up the feet up than the rest of the body may also help.

9) During the week, swimming and water exercises are a good way to keep muscles stretched, and wearing supportive footwear is also important.

10) Eating more nuts, seeds, seafood and low-fat dairy would help.

You can consult your physician who would review your medications and medical history. Also, take Calcium and vitamin D with a supplement of magnesium and zinc a day. Gatorade, can help as it contain electrolytes. If still no change, then do follow up with your doctor for a blood test to check the electrolytes. Read the resource which tells you specifically about the night cramps;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/AN00499

Once a cramp starts, do the following measures so it is arrested immediately;

1) Straighten the leg, flex the foot upward toward the knee, or grab the toes and pull them toward the knee.

2) Walking or shaking the affected leg, then elevating it, may also help.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I go ahead and take motrin now even though I took Excedrin about an hour and a half ago? It did not help. I have been drinking a lot of water in the past few days because I thought it could be dehydration but the increased water is not helping either. I have also eaten several bananas each day since this started on Friday.

Yes, you can take Motrin now.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

You are very welcome.