Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

By mistake I took two sudafed pills (supposed to take one

every. 24 hours). This...
By mistake I took two sudafed pills (supposed to take one every. 24 hours). This was 4 hours ago. I am having trouble sleeping but no other side effects
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: no allergies. Taking synthroid, low dose of metformin for being pre-diabetic (sugar normal for a year) and a low dose of Lipitor (1/2 tab of lowest dose--cholesteral good but taking it prophylactically. Blood pressure good normally
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm 61 in otherwise good health female
5/26/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Actually if you took two sudafed pills, you should be fine and not experience any side effects. It depends on the type of the sudafed tablet that you used, if you used the normal tablet (NOT the extended release version) then using two tablets instead of one would not cause any issues whatsoever. If however you used two extended release tablets such as sudafed 240 mg then you will still be fine however you should monitor yourself for any of the following symptoms and IF you develop them at any time then immediately go to the ER,

• Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Palpitations
  • Chest pain
  • Rapid heartbeat

But since it has been 4 hours and you have not experienced any side effects then you should be fine, however if you have used the extended release tablets then you will need to monitor yourself for the next 6 hours to be absolutely sure. However in most cases using two tablets instead of one should NOT cause any serious effects but it is better to monitor yourself for the above symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)