Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I started to hear and feel a strong but regular heartbeat in

Customer Question

I started to hear and feel a strong but regular heartbeat in my chest about 3 weeks ago. It was intermittent at first but almost constant now, especially when trying to sleep at night. Also lightheaded at times and deep sighing helps. No sweating.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Pretty good, some stress lately (moved recently, husband in hospitalized.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been less physically active, some weight gain. I am 5 feet 8, weigh 185 lbs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a condition which is known as arrhythmias. This is a problem with the heart in which it can start to beat rapidly and irregularly at times leading to the symptoms which you have been experiencing. These symptoms can occur even while you sleep as well. Now there are several underlying causes for this issue which can include heart disease as well as electrolyte imbalances, thyroid disorders, autoimmune diseases and also simple dehydration or even infections. Now the first thing to do here would be to get a simple EKG done which can be followed by an echocardiogram and then a 24 hour holter monitor test which can monitor the heart for a full 24 hours and see when you develop this problem. This can also be accompanied by a complete blood workup to look for the underlying causes such as thyroid issues which can be treated and in turn the arrhythmias would settle down as well.

Now i would suggest that since this problem has been occurring for three weeks you should have this evaluated by visiting your doctor now and by getting the above tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/