How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 46403
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I broke my collar bone 10 years ago (bicycle went out from

This answer was rated:

I broke my collar bone 10 years ago (bicycle went out from under me). I went to Costa Rica to have it plated. Now I can feel that the place is coming lose and I want it removed. I am 68 years old and still active. But I do not want to travel anymore. I now have Medicare and want to know if the removal would be covered. I think the plate is coming loose because it has become uncomfortable when I use my left arm. My health otherwise is excellent. I have very rarely seen ANY doctor and recently moved to Florida (near Ocala). I am on a very limited budget and have a small home based business. I also have zero understanding of what is covered and what is not. I have no idea of the cost or how to find the right doctor or facility. Please advise!

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

medicare covers 80% of surgery and doctors visits

you need to have a secondary insurance to cover the 20% that medicare doesn't cover.

you should talk to a local hospital social worker about this

they can help you apply for a secondary insurance which can help cover the other 20%

AARP sells a good secondary insurance policy to cover the other 20%

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, It is EXTREMELY rare for me to even need a doctor. I have NO insurance and do not wish to have any either. This should be a fairly simply procedure. I think the plate screws are coming lose. I just want the screws removed and I can live in a sling until the holes heal. I am careful with my nutrition (hence my good health otherwise) and I can refrain from any heavy work (more than typing on a computer!) as well as using supplements (vitamins, etc.) to help the holes left to fill back in. I just recently move to Florida (but I have spent many winters here) and, for the most part abhor hospitals. Surely there are smaller hospitals clinics that can perform such a simple task. How to find them and get ratings on them is what I need.

you have to see and interview orthopedic doctors in your area about the surgery to remove the plate in your collar bone.

why do you want to go to a smaller hospital?

what part of florida are you in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in Dunnellon, Citrus County. I prefer smaller hospitals (usually more friendly.) I can research the local ones for feedback and patient reviews. And (can I assume) that the procedure will not require an overnight stay?
I have only lived here 6 months, but moving I am sure aggravated my problem. I also assume the holes left in my collar bone will take time to "fill in" and be fully useful again. Right now I KNOW a screw or two is lose. I am being very careful not to disturb the area (tough when I have to do most of the work!)

most likely the surgery will be an out patient surgery and you will not need an overnight stay

you will need some xrays to assess the area and the hard ware which is in there now.

you would need to see an othopedic surgeon to have the plate and screws removed.

yes the holes in the bones where the screws are in will need time to fill in, but you can still use your arm as the holes fill in if there is no fracture in your cavicle bone at this point.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This may sound strange, but I went out of the country to get this done.... all because of an arrogant orthopedic surgeon in the USA.
I think I am a very active person (at age 68) who has "worn out" the plate attachment. It's 10+ years in this abnormal?
I'll try to find a "nice" doctor to get the job done HERE! I need a no frills, in and out surgery and I can go home with no overnight this possible?I prefer referrals (and ratings). I doubt you can do that, but I will ask around and look online.

it is not abnormal to ear out a plate after 10 years

you can use this website to look for ratings for othopedic surgeons in your area.

Dr. David and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you