Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been having chest pain, pain in the right shoulder

Customer Question

Hi. I have been having chest pain, pain in the right shoulder blade and dizziness the past few weeks. I had a baby six months ago and two weeks before I had the baby I had very bad left leg pain behind the knee and the calf, this lasted about two days and I didn't think anything of it. After that my blood pressure became high and very high while having the baby. It has since come down again but I'm wondering if the chest pain could be a PE? Also I lived overseas while I was pregnant and did three return trips of 8 hour flights each. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! pain
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: My dad had high blood pressure and strokes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Let me at the outset tell you that your chest pain in not likely due to pulmonary embolism / blood clot in lungs. A lung embolism will usually have a history of calf pain, swelling, tenderness and redness. The chest pain and shoulder pain need to be evaluated for pinched nerves in neck by MRI. Myofascial pain syndrome is the other likely possibility. You may get an EKG and D-dimer test so heart and lung serious issues are ruled out. This will help out in resolving your anxiety. Anxiety is one of the common cause of dizziness. Internal ear issues are the other common cause for it.

The causes of dizziness according to the decreasing incidence are;

1) Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) 20%

2) Vestibular 15%

3) Migraine and motion sensitivity 15%

4) Anxiety and depression 10%

5) Meniere's disease 7%

6) Cerebellar disease 6%

7) Transient ischemic attacks 5%

8) Orthostatic hypotension 4%

9) Other

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for your reply. You mentioned the blood clot would have a history of calf pain. I had severe calf pain while I was pregnant for two days or so which is why I was concerned it might be a clot.

You are very welcome.

The calf pain during pregnancy is not important here as it was more than six months ago. The clot would have developed during the calf pain. Not so long after it. The clot resolves in this duration.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.