How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35740
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Again I lost you the one with the uti, Cipro and yes 3 times

Customer Question

hi this is Casey again I lost you the one with the uti
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Cipro and yes 3 times lab work done says UTI
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: then do what
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have IBS allergies to asa, penn, sulfa, Darvon talwin, motron
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hi Casey,

What is your age?

What did your urine culture show?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am 60 yrs. old healthy lead an active lifestyle
culture showed UTI no growing bacteria
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Do you have persisting symptoms?

What are your present symptoms?

Are your symptoms recurrent?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they wrote a script for nuroflaxin 10 mg. that didn't work so then they went to Cipro for 7 days that isn't working either
do I need to go to ER to get rid of this ?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 5 minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

ER may not be the right place. The reason is; doctors are interested to just find out if one has a life threatening illness. Otherwise they may not investigate properly. Your primary care physician or a urologist would be the best to do the work up for it. We divide UTIs into anatomic/structural abnormalities and functional abnormalities.

Anatomic abnormalities include kidney swelling, cystocele (bladder prolapse), and stone disease. This can be evaluated with a good rectal exam, CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with and without contrast, and cystoscopy (telescope inside your bladder).

Functional abnormalities include high pressure voiding or incomplete emptying of your bladder. Urinary infections are often due to incomplete emptying of the bladder or high pressure voiding and these are best checked with a urodynamic study (pressure flow study done by a urologist to see how your bladder fills and empties) and voiding cystourethrogram (contrast study by radiologist to see how your bladder empties).

If you have not imaging of your kidneys, cystoscopy, and a urodynamic study, it may be wise to consider.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.