Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

This past Monday I took a blood test using stdexpress

Customer Question

Good evening, This past Monday I took a blood test using stdexpress on-line. Tuesday evening I got my results everything normal with exception of HSV2 abnormal with an index of 12.40. I'm obviously extremely shocked at the results. For 15+ years I have gotten a sore on the bridge of my nose that resembles HSV 1. I had it cultured on two occasions and the results were negative. However after doing some research i realized a blood test would be more accurate. The problem I'm having why would i be positive for hsv2 and not hsv 1. I'm obviously distraught by the results and wondering if I should take these results and get retested. Since being tested I feel like I'm having symptoms of HSV2 but it can be my mind playing tricks in me. I'm devastated but also confused if there's a possibility those numbers are in the wrong spot. If not what the heck is this on my nose and if it's HSV2 I been having this condition for over 10yrs with no sign of symptoms or partners. Please Help!!
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: I'm not sure I just know it's an igg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really except HTN
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 5 months ago.
T
Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I'm Dr Ted Manos M.D. and I can respond. There are increasing reports of HSV 2 being transmitted to areas where HSV 1 had previously dominated. The overall management of this chronic issue varies among healthcare practitioners. I hope this helps answer your question.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess my main concern is I was in a relationship for over 4yrs and we both never had any sign of it. Is it possible that my site of infection is the bridge of my nose? I would want to pass this to people unknowingly.
You have the recurring nose lesion with negative cultures and the blood evidence for HSV 2. Are they related? Probably is the only incomplete answer. Herpes virus hides in neurons and get activated off and on. Your immunity limits virus out of the neurons and a culture would be negative.