Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I've been on 40mg of fluoxetine (for two years), and my GP…

Customer Question
Hi, I've been on...

Hi, I've been on 40mg of fluoxetine (for two years), and my GP added 75mg of venlafaxine week ago. I stopped venlafaxine, because I was afraid of withdrawal symptoms it may produce. Its been 2 days and 5 hours since I stopped effexor XR. I experience severe diorrhea (Loperium doesn't help, since I took 12mg for last 24 hours). I'm taking diazepam not to have panic attacks, but I'm so confused. Is that serotonin syndrome (40mg prozac + 75mg effexor XR) or is that withdrawal from Effexor?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Valium helps a bit, but not that much.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was on Remeron for 2 years, quit it 2 years ago while switching to Prozac. Experienced some w/d symptoms, but nothing like this before.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my blood pressure is 120/80
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my body temp is 98.78 F (or 37.1 C)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started 20 hours ago.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have dillated pupils, vomiting, headache, paresthesias but diorrhea is terrible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm afraid to take a pill of Effexor since it can possibly be serotonin syndrome, what do I do? My GP doesn't answer, its midnight here in Europe
4/2/2017
Health Professional: Nicholas Merwood,
 replied 1 year ago
Nicholas Merwood

Hello - sorry to hear that you feel unwell. Do you have any other symptoms? Particularly tremor or sweating?