Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am looking for ways to perform Reiki and if there is any…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for ways to perform Reiki and if there is any ways to do it without being a massage therapist

Doctor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Doctor's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I haven't started but wanted to do things the right way before I start

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
4/1/2017
Health Professional: Cheryl, Physician's Assistant (Ret.) replied 1 year ago
Cheryl
Cheryl, Physician's Assistant (Ret.)

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hi again, and thank you for your patience.

It seems your question was first sent to the Legal category and now was changed to the 'General' category, hence the delayed answer.

Florida has a law that Reiki is considered 'massage', because of the touching and manipulation of the client and therefore, the Reiki practitioner must have a Massage Therapy license from the Florida Department of Health (DOH). Please read more, here:

http://www.spiritualone.com/online/sept04/flreikiandmassage.htm

------------

It has been argued that Reiki doesn't necessarily involve touching, but spiritual energy, and is part of one's religion. It has also been mentioned that if you were to get a license as a clinical nurse, which allows 'touching' of the patient/client, this license would cover Reiki.

I hope this answered your question and am sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear, but please don't 'kill the messenger!' : )

I wish you much good luck with your Reiki practice in the future.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, with 5 stars from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' and I will always be here for you.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Cher