Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have chest congestion and a I vomited and had a fever,

Customer Question
I have chest congestion...

I have chest congestion and a I vomited and had a fever

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Last night my doc gave me sudafed and zytec

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
2/19/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract which is causing the chest congestion as well as the vomiting. It may also cause cough which may be dry or productive, wheezing, sore throat etc. This would be best treated with the medications which your doctor has prescribed you along with several other interventions. Now usually you can help the symptoms by adding the following things to your treatment regimens,

• Steam inhalation with oil of eucalyptus in it
  • Use OTC dramamine or meclizine for the vomiting
  • use OTC tylenol for the fever
  • Increase the intake of fluids including plain water and also electrolyte rich fluids
  • Try using Mucinex DM for the congestion if the sudafed does not work.

But in short viral infections usually would subside over time with the help of the above treatments, only if the fever goes above 102 F, you develop shortness of breath or start coughing up discolored sputum which is yellow, green or rust colored, you should visit your doctor for the use of antibiotics as in that case you could have a bacterial infection.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/