Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I took Sudafed for 7 days and was told that it caused

I took Sudafed for...

I took Sudafed for 7 days and was told that it caused congestion rebound. I have nausea and heartburn with it is that normal

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Im not taking any medications.... I just took the sudafed for sinus congestion I dont have insurance or a physician. I spoke with a pharmicist and he told me what it was . The symptoms of what he described fit what was going on Most of it has cleared up but the heartburn and naasea

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I dont take any medications

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really I am normally a very healthy person I am a long time smoker but this is Not in my lungs

2/17/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well commonly heartburn and nausea are not common symptoms associated with rebound congestion from sudafed. However they can occur in some situations. Usually if this is due to the rebound congestion then it should also clear up in a couple of days but at the same time it is also possible that you could have developed GERD or acid reflux at around the same time and it is simply a coincidence that this is occurring at the same time. Since you recently had congestion for which you took the sudafed, it is possible that it triggered the acid reflux or even gastritis which is why the heartburn and nausea are persisting even though the other symptoms have almost disappeared.

If the symptoms persist for another 3-4 days and dont improve then it is likely that you have developed acid reflux. Now i would suggest that you start using OTC zantac which is very effective in controlling these symptoms or even OTC prilosec which can help in reducing the heartburn as well as the nausea. Secondly cutting back on smoking, caffeine and alcohol is also very helpful. Elevating the head of the bed at night by 30 degrees would also help as well as cutting back on fried and fatty foods. Also i would advise using OTC probiotics which can sometimes improve the situation.

But to simply answer your question, usually rebound congestion from sudafed doesnt cause the heartburn or nausea but it is certainly possible for it to occur. If it is due to sudafed then it should disappear in another few days however if it persists even after all the other symptoms have disappeared then it is acid reflux for which you should start the above interventions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I think that answers it Thank You

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)