Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had been working without sleep for about 30 hours. I was

Customer Question

I had been working without sleep for about 30 hours. I was working on a spreadsheet. I had a flutter feeling in my chest, and felt a little odd, so I went to splash some water in my face. In the bathroom, it felt like a pressure was building in my face with each heartbeat. I watched as my face turned blood red, my nose turned black. My neck was unaffected. It looked as though I might start bleeding through my skin. After about 2 minutes it went back to normal, diminishing in phases. I went and sat down and tried to relax. I was incapable of doing super simple operations in the spreadsheet I had built. Very easy words also escaped me. I also now have a tremor in my right hand that makes operating a mouse almost impossible. I visited my doctor the following Monday, and she set up a neurological consult 2 months out.
The trouble operating the spreadsheet has resolved over a couple days. Words are improving but not 100%. The tremor comes and goes.
I got the distinct impression that my doctor (she is a new doctor for me, as I recently had moved) did not believe me.
I have put in more than 100 hours of internet searching and cannot find anything remotely similar to what I describe. Any help would be very appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your symptoms are due to extreme exhaustion.

you are working too hard.

you need to get some sleep and rest.

your symptoms will get better once you work less and sleep more

you will benefit from eating healthier and getting some regular exercise as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I exercise regularly... Yoga, kickboxing, and tabatta 3x per week. I walk 10000 steps per day. I have had trouble with sleep for over 20 years. There is no month in which an all nighter or two doesn't occur. I have blackout tape over all electronic displays in the bedroom. All lights on the house go off at 11:00 pm. If I am still awake after 2-3 hours and I am still wide awake, I get up and do something productive as it just makes me angry to lie in bed. This was one of those nights.

I see.

you should cut down on your caffeine in take

you should see a sleep specialist doctor to review your sleep habits and work habits.

exercise 3 days a week can be improved to 5 days a week.

more exercise can help you sleep better.

you should get your thyroid hormone levels checked as well. hyperthyroidism can cause poor sleep.

if you don't sleep, you should not get up to work on a computer

you should sit quietly on a couch and read a book, no computer, no cell phone or work.

when you get sleepy again, go back to the bed.