Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

My husband woke up with an upset stomach today and when he

Customer Question

hi my husband woke up with an upset stomach today and when he just went to the bathroom there was a little bit of blood. The stool came out easily though.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: since this morning. no nausea or vomitting or abdominal pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no history of this before
Category: Health
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no blood on the toilet paper but it was all over the stool
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband. Actually if only a very small of blood came out with teh stool and he has a upset stomach then it is likely that teh blood is due to an infection in the intestine. This would cause diarrhea, vomiting and also abdominal pain and in some situations fever. This would be due to acute gastroenteritis. If this is the case then he would need treatment with the help of simple antibiotics and also need rehydration therapy.

Now if he doesnt have diarrhea or any of the other symptoms which i mentioned, then the likely cause for the blood in the stool is hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are dilated veins inside the anus which can bleed at times and lead to blood being mixed in the stool. This would be diagnosed on a rectal examination and also with a proctoscopy. Minor cases are dealt conservatively with the help of simple OTC fiber supplements like metamucil and creams but more severe cases would require removal of the hemorrhoids.

Now i would recommend that if he does have diarrhea then he should get this evaluated and get a precription of antibiotics as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.