Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have High MCV, MCH and Monocyte% auto Numbers and Take

Customer Question

I have High MCV , MCH and Monocyte% auto Numbers and Take Teeto Replacement Shots every two Weeks. My Doctor Says I am an alcoholic and have caused Liver damage and I am not a heavy drinker.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes My Doctor took all the tests and also had a Gamma GT done and it was 89 and the accaptable range is up to 61 she said.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My Testosterone level is very High and I am taking Homeopathic remedies from My Nutritionalist to lower that without more drugs. I def have Low T but want to consider stopping the Testo Injections because It may be causing a bunch of this because it is the first thing I did because My Sex Drive was not right and was tested as Very Very Low. I think the fix I started just started causing many problems.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Chronic
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
53

What are your main concerns?

The abnormal investigations, specifically the Gamma GT?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
MCV
MCH
GammaGT

Let me at the outset tell you that a single liver investigation like Gamma GT being elevated with rest of all liver function tests being normal, there is all the chance that it is not denoting any significant medical issue and your liver is likely to be normal. The liver function tests are interpreted in conjunction with all blood test together with medical imaging studies. Collectively only they can give a diagnosis. Just a solitary raised investigation do not point or predict an illness. These point would clear your doubts:

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Liver gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) can be raised by:

1) alcohol,
2) phenytoin,
3) barbiturates, and
4) warfarin.

GGT has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Its clinical utility in assessing surreptitious alcohol use is questionable, as it has a half-life of 26 days and demonstrates poor correlation with alcohol binging.

In addition, normal GGT levels have been reported in more than 35% of people who consume more than 80 g of alcohol per day and still it is normal.

High Monocytes can be due to any chronic infection.

High MCV and MCH tells about the anemia which can occur due to folate and B 12 deficiency, low thyroid, liver disease usually.

Even testosterone injections can raise GGT.

So you may consider stopping it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

If you have erectile dysfunction for which testosterone injections were prescribed, you may try testosterone skin patch. This is less likely to affect the liver.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/