Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am 70 years old, type 1 diabetic, have very sore joins for

Customer Question
about one week, neck, shoulders...
I am 70 years old, type 1 diabetic, have very sore joins for about one week, neck, shoulders, and arms and hips, can this be relate to a flue bug?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: No numbness or tingling, have had these systoms for over a week to two
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am on isulan pump, 2 weeks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
1/8/2017
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually these symptoms can be the result of a number of conditions. The first one is that you could be have a simple electrolyte imbalance which is causing the aches and pains in the muscles of these regions. This can be checked with the help of a simple blood test to check if this is the case and if so then simple supplementation can be very effective in controlling the problem. Another cause of this problem can be a deficiency in vitamin D. many patients in your age group can experience vitamin D deficiency which leads to muscle aches, fatigue, joint pains etc. This again would be diagnosed with a simple blood test and then treated with simple supplementation. Severe deficiency would need prescription strength supplements. Also you can be correct as many viral infections can cause this problem as well and YES the flu is known to cause this issue as well. If it is a viral infection then simple bed rest, increased intake of plain water and supportive therapy with drugs like OTC motrin or aleve along with electrolyte rich fluids would be useful. But most viral infections last only 2-3 weeks at the most and since you have these symptoms for two weeks i would suggest seeing your doctor and discussing the above possibilities with him.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)