How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35027
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a reaction which I cant work out what is causing

Customer Question

i have had a reaction which I cant work out what is causing it. It starts with a tingling on my palms and very quickly stomach pains. My hands become very red and itchy and the stomache cramps become severe sometimes developing diaorrhea. I become hot and sweaty and my face also becomes very red and itchy. Every time it has happened i have eaten different things a couple of hours before. There doesnt seem to be any common foods that might be causing it. Sometimes I can go months without a reaction and then I have had 2 in the past week. Can you suggest what the cause might be. I have seen a allergy specialist and had blood test but nothing came up.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: It only started about a year ago and I take an antihistamine as soon as it starts which seems to reduce the time of the itching. But it takes about an hour for the symptoms to go and leaves me very tired.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do have gastric problems , diverticular disease and have had pancreatitis a couple of years ago. I have had my gall bladder removed. I did have irritable bowel but took IBS support which seems to have settled that down.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.

I would suggest you to ask your doctor to investigate following;

1) Urinary 5-HIAA

2) Fasting plasma 5-HIAA assay

3) CT scan of abdomen.

One need to rule out carcinoid syndrome for your symptoms. Please read about it:

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.