Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

My son has severe diarrhea and vomited about a teaspoonful

Customer Question

My son has severe diarrhea and vomited about a teaspoonful of blood 2 hours ago. Now just clear vomit with black specks... no food and only sips of water. He's 18 and in good health. Should he go to ER?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Good
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has lower back pain from sports off and on
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Since how many hours ago the diarrhea started?

Any pain in abdomen?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Diarrhea for past 12hours. Abdominal pain past 12hrs. Says it feels like pressure with pain
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vomited teaspoon of blood earlier today. Vomited clear with black round spots an hour ago
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described about your 18 year old son of having diarrhea with blood and vomiting with black specks along with abdominal pain past 12hrs is most likely due to a condition called dysentery.It is an infection of the intestines that causes diarrhea and stomach cramps caused by bacteria,parasites or or other organisms. .Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections,Campylobacter,Salmonella,shigell, E-coli food poisoning,entamoeba histolytica.

As most cases of dysentery only last for a short period of time, antibiotics are only used if dysentery does not clear up on its own.

Following is recommended for him now:

-Tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in the vomiting.
-Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from fever & cramps
- Take tab. Loperamide to stop the diarrhea & loose stools with blood.

All these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly.If still after this,the symptoms persists.then he need to go to ER/hospital as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

So I can conclude that as of now I do not think he needs a visit to ER.

Usually & most likely the infection gets resolved on its own & all the symptoms will subside.

To avoid dehydration,continue to give him sips of water.

So as of now,he needs to wait & watch & take the above described medications.This will help him greatly.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer

I am online & is waiting for your reply.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Please do reply back.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you.

we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh