Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have an ALT of 99 and AST of 72 and I'm 24 years old. I

Customer Question

I have an ALT of 99 and AST of 72 and I'm 24 years old. I drink too much and assume that those numbers are from that. What should I do?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I'm not taking anything. She la
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No not really I had a cholesterol test and everything was good but that
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I'm 6 foot and 280 lbs and spent a year drinking a lot. I got the tests done so I can correct my higher blood pressure.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 5 minutes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No worries. I was told this over a voicemail and was suggested to stop drinking. I just don't wanna over think anything and want some clarity. Thank you.

If this is due to alcohol, these enzyme levels with go down with lowered alcohol intake or abstinence. Liver has enormous physiological reserves and thus get back to normal very fast.

Following points will also clear the raise in your liver enzymes;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at monthly interval) will need further studies or invasive investigations like liver biopsy.

5) The other causes also should be observed which also can raise liver enzymes (obviously alcohol is number one to raise them);

a history of any medications,

b) hepatitis B and C

c) muscle disorders,

d) thyroid disorders,

e) celiac disease,

f) adrenal insufficiency and

g) anorexia nervosa.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How long would it take to cause damage? Should I get tested again soon?

You may test it after 3-4 weeks of abstinence or low consumption.

Irreversible damage occurs in around 10 years of high alcohol intake.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.