Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

My 8 year old son has peanut algeries, and I made strawberry

Customer Question

My 8 year old son has peanut algeries, and I made strawberry shortcake and I read the label and it did not have anything in the ingredients about peanuts, but after reading again on the other side it said processed on equipment that also processed pecans, walnut almonds and pecans..It's need an hour since he ate and he seams fine, should I worry
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No DR, no meds, I do have an epi pin, but he barely ate any cake..Eyes look good, nor redness and breathing fine
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: He takes no meds
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My son is only peanuts Algeries
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Peanut allergy is known to have cross allergy with some tree nuts and legumes which may give a similar reaction.However,since it has been over an hour and no allergy is seen,it would appear that the child is not allergic to walnuts ,almonds and pecans.It would however be prudent to keep a watch for a few hours .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962743/ is a article of interest.