A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I had a small mosquito bite like bump on my lower back. It

Customer Question

I had a small mosquito bite like bump on my lower back. It has spread in al line that is as wide as a finger and is raised and inflamed. It itches and has continued to get longer over the past 30 hours. Looking closely there are some red dots in the center of the line
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

I'm going to suggest you see your doctor or go to a walk-in clinic. Shingles frequently begins just like this. Medication given soon after the first symptoms appear lessen the duration and severity of the symptoms.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Isn't shingles very painful? This doesn't hurt at all, only if I touch it does it feel itchy. It looks like a long raised worm under the skin.

It doesn't hurt at first, it's just itchy. It's only when it gets worse that the pain begins.

It's difficult (i.e. impossible) to say what the problem is without being able to see and feel it. There's the possibility it is an allergic reaction and hives are beginning to form. The only way to tell for sure is to have it examined.