Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I was diagnosed with bronchitis on Monday and am on a ZPAC.

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with bronchitis on Monday and am on a ZPAC. My 5week old granddaughter is in the icu with rsv. I am needed to watch my son's other child. Am I still contagious?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about you and your granddaughter. The simple answer to this question is that YES, you are contagious. Most cases of bronchitis are caused by viral infections and they are transmitted from one person to another via the respiratory droplet secretions. These droplets exit your body when you cough and can land on another persons face or hands or body and then infect them as well. Now i can understand your situation and since you need to watch the other child, there are some precautions which you can use. These include,

• Wear a mask around him ALL the time. Use a N5 mask which blocks most of the droplets.
  • Use hand sanitizers or wash your hands everytime you have to touch him or handle any of his things including clothes or food.
  • Constantly wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizers, every time you need to interact with him, im repeating myself because of its importance.
  • If you have a coughing fit, exit his immediate environment and come back once the fit is over

Using these methods you can avoid getting him infected, you can use the same measures on him as well, make him wear a mask around you and also have him wash his hands before interacting with you., That will give him dual protection and prevent transmission of the infection.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.